Saturday & Sunday, JANUARY 13TH & 14TH - Race Course groomed
Race Course will be groomed and open for non-competitive and non-motorized use. Please note that this is dependent on the weather and our volunteers! For instance, if there is a big snow dump on Friday, we may not have the opportunity to groom the course in time for Saturday. We will post our progress on our social media sites – Facebook group and community pages, Twitter and Instagram.
Thursday, JANUARY 17TH - Online Race Registration ends at 12 midnight on NMSportsonline.com
Friday, JANUARY 18TH - begin Chama Chile Ski Classic and Winter Fiesta Weekend
- 5-8 pm Racer Bib, T-shirt & Goodie Bag Pickup and Silent Auction - Location: TBD
Saturday, JANUARY 19TH - The Races Begin! Freestyle XC and Snow Bike Races. SW NORDIC SERIES QUALIFYING RACE: 18K FREESTYLE
- 9:00-11:45 am Race Day Registration and Bib Pickup at Race Site Only
- 8:30-10:00 am Yoga with local instructor Leah Hoffman, $10.00 paid on-site, Mats and blocks available in the class. At Senior/Community
- Center located next to Eddie's Chevron station near the Y intersection of Hwys. 64/84 and Hwy. 17 (Address 2449 Hwy. 84
- 9:00-12 Noon Guided Snowshoe Tour at Sargent’s Wildlife Area(Easy – Moderate Difficulty), free of charge, Leader: TBD Bring snacks and water, Meet in front of the High Country Restaurant
- 10:15 am Racers in Freestyle Races must be in Staging Area at Race Site
- 10:30 am 18K Freestyle Race begins. 6K Freestyle race begins shortly after.
- 11:45 am Snow Bike Racers must be in Staging Area at Race Site.
- 12 Noon 6K and 18K Fat Tire Snow Bike Races Begin.
- 1:00-3:00 pm Snow Bike Demos, Pagosa Mountain Sports, from Pagosa Springs, CO will be set in the Parking Area at the Race Site
- 12 noon-4 pm Spruce Hole Area & Yurt tour (Easy – Moderate Difficulty), Free of charge, bring skis, poles & boots plus a lunch & water, Leader: Mary Ann DeBoer, owner, meet at Race Site parking lot, For more info: 575-756-2294
- 1:30-3:00 pm Beginner Cross-Country Ski Clinic (Free of Charge), Instructor TBD, Participants must supply own skis, poles, & boots; meet at Race Site near finish line. Skis, poles, boot rentals available from Pagosa Mountain Sports at 970-507-7886 or at their website at pagosamountainsports.com or Sports Systems at 6915 Montgomery in Albuquerque. Call ahead to reserve equipment. Limit of 10 skiers.
- 1:30-3:00 pm Freestyle (Skate) Skiing Clinic ($15), Instructor: TBD. Participants must supply their own skis poles & boots. Meet at Race Site in the Staging (Start) area.
- 1:30- 3:00 pm Advanced Classic Cross-country Skiing Techniques Clinic ($15), Participants must supply their own skis, poles, & boots, meet at Race Site in the Finish Area, Instructor: TBD
- 3:30-5:00 pm Yoga for Racers ($10), Instructor Steve Ilg from Durango, CO with High Performance Yoga, Bring your own yoga mat. Location: United Country Real Estate on the Chama River, For more info: 818-590-2922
- 5:00 pm Awards Ceremony for Freestyle Racers at The High Country Saloon with live music before (4-5 pm) and after (6-8 pm)
- 5-8 pm Racer Bib, T-shirt & Goodie Bag Pickup and Silent Auction at The High Country Saloon.
- 7:00 pm Ski Waxing Clinic (Free of Charge), Participants need to bring their own skis and be prepared to wax the skis themselves. Instructor : TBD, Location: Foster's
Sunday, JANUARY 20TH - Classic XC Ski, Snowshoe, Combined Races & Rookie Races
Costume Contest ongoing throughout all races on Sunday.
Theme: "Come One, Come All to the Circus in the Mountains"
Prizes for Best Adult Costume, Best Youth Costume and Best Group Costumes
- Morning, TBD XC Ski, snowshoe and snow bike rentals provided by Pagosa Mountain Sports at race site. Call ahead to reserve equipment - (970) 507-7886
- 8:30-10:30 am Race Site Registration and Bib Pick Up Cut-off for 12K racers: 9:15 am, for 6K Racers: 10:30 am
- 9:45 am 12K Racers must be in Staging Area at Race Site
- 10:00 am 12K Race Begins
- 11:00 am 6K Classic Ski Racers & 6K Snowshoers must be in Staging Area
- 11:15 am 6K Classic Style race mass start begins, followed shortly by the 6K Snowshoe Race mass start.
- 12-12:30 pm Rookie Races, Race Day registration and Bib Pick up in Staging Area
- 12:45 pm Racers for Rookie Races must be in Staging Area
- 1:00 pm 1K-3K Rookie Races begins, Snowshoers and Skiers race together with Skiers on right and Snowshoers on left. Adult and Youth race together
- 1:00-3:00 pm Snow Bike Demos, Pagosa Mountain Sports, from Pagosa Springs, CO, will be set up with demo bikes in the Parking Area at the Race Site
- 4:00 pm Chama Chile Ski Classic Awards Ceremony in back room at Foster's Restaurant and Saloon, downtown Chama.
Monday, JANUARY 21ST - RACE SITE OPEN TO ALL SKIERS, SNOWSHOERS AND SNOW BIKERS, FREE OF CHARGE
Saturday & Sunday, JANUARY - Come Back and Have some Fun on a Groomed Course!
Race Course will be groomed and open for non-competitive and non-motorized use. Please note that this is dependent on the weather and our volunteers. For instance, if there is a big snow dump on Friday, we may not have the opportunity to groom the course in time for Saturday. We will post our progress on our social media sites – Facebook group and community pages, Twitter and Instagram.
Date TBD - Thank You Volunteers, Sponsors and Donors!
Time TBD CCSC Volunteers & Supporters Appreciation Party:
All volunteers, sponsors, donors and racers (past and current) are invited to the Ski Classic's annual “Thank You” party. IT'S TIME TO RELAX BECAUSE DINNER WILL BE PROVIDED!! :> :> Non-alcoholic beverages will also be provided. At Amilia Elliott’s, Patience Grasshopper Therapeutics at 2523 Colin Road in Chama, NM 87520. From Chama, turn west (right) off Hwy. 64/84 onto Colin Road, located just after Lowe’s and over the bridge on the south side of town.