Saturday & Sunday, JANUARY 13TH & 14TH - Race Course groomed
Race Course will be groomed and open for non-competitive and non-motorized use. Please note that this is dependent on the weather and our volunteers! For instance, if there is a big snow dump on Friday, we may not have the opportunity to groom the course in time for Saturday. We will post our progress on our social media sites – Facebook group and community pages, Twitter and Instagram.
Thursday, JANUARY 17TH - Online Race Registration ends at 12 midnight on NMSportsonline.com
Friday, JANUARY 18TH - begin Chama Chile Ski Classic and Winter Fiesta Weekend
- 5-8 pm Race Registration and Bib, T-shirt & Goodie Bag Pickup & Silent Auction - Location: High Country Restaurant/Saloon
- 6-9 pm Live Music, Band: 2 out of 3 with Al Marino and Dylan Loman, Old School Rock, High Country Restaurant/Saloon
Saturday, JANUARY 19TH - The Races Begin! Freestyle XC and Snow Bike Races. SW NORDIC SERIES QUALIFYING RACE: 18K FREESTYLE
- 9:00-11:45 am Race Day Registration and Bib Pickup at Race Site Only
- 8:30-10:00 am Yoga with local instructor Leah Hoffman, $10.00 paid on-site, Mats and blocks available in the class. At Senior/Community
- Center located next to Eddie's Chevron station near the Y intersection of Hwys. 64/84 and Hwy. 17 (Address 2449 Hwy. 84
- 9:00-12 Noon Guided Snowshoe Tour at Sargent’s Wildlife Area(Easy – Moderate Difficulty), free of charge, Leader: TBD Bring snacks and water, Meet in front of the High Country Restaurant
- 10:15 am Racers in Freestyle Races must be in Staging Area at Race Site
- 10:30 am 18K Freestyle Race begins. 6K Freestyle race begins shortly after.
- 11:45 am Snow Bike Racers must be in Staging Area at Race Site.
- 12 Noon 6K and 18K Fat Tire Snow Bike Races Begin.
- 1:00-3:00 pm Snow Bike Demos, Pagosa Mountain Sports, from Pagosa Springs, CO will be set in the Parking Area at the Race Site
- 12 noon-4 pm Spruce Hole Area & Yurt tour (Easy – Moderate Difficulty), Free of charge, bring skis, poles & boots plus a lunch & water, Leader: Mary Ann DeBoer, owner, meet at Race Site parking lot, For more info: 575-756-2294
- 1:30-3:00 pm Beginner Cross-Country Ski Clinic (Free of Charge), Instructor Jon DeLios, Participants must supply own skis, poles, & boots; meet at Race Site near finish line. Skis, poles, boot rentals available from Pagosa Mountain Sports at 970-507-7886 or at their website at pagosamountainsports.com (they will bring your equipment to the race site) or New Mexico Sports Systems at 6915 Montgomery in Albuquerque. Call ahead to reserve equipment. Limit of 10 skiers.
- 1:30-3:00 pm Freestyle (Skate) Skiing Clinic ($15), Instructor: Carl Walzack (Winner of 2017 18K Freestyle Race) . Participants must supply their own skis poles & boots. Meet at Race Site in the Staging (Start) area.
- 1:30- 3:00 pm Advanced Classic Cross-country Skiing Techniques Clinic ($15), Participants must supply their own skis, poles, & boots, meet at Race Site in the Finish Area, Instructor: Sanna Sevanto
- 3:30-5:00 pm Yoga for Racers ($10), Instructor Steve Ilg from Durango, CO with High Performance Yoga, Bring your own yoga mat. Location: United Country Real Estate on the Chama River, For more info: 818-590-2922
- 5:00 pm Awards Ceremony for Freestyle Racers at The High Country Saloon with live music before (4-5 pm) and after (6-8 pm)
- Ceremony. Music: Melvin Montonyo, Country
- 5-8 pm Race Registration, Racer Bib, T-shirt & Goodie Bag Pickup & Silent Auction at The High Country Restaurant/Saloon.
- 7:00 pm Ski Waxing Clinic (Free of Charge), Participants need to bring their own skis and be prepared to wax the skis
- themselves. Instructor : TBD, Location: Foster's
Sunday, JANUARY 20TH - Classic XC Ski, Snowshoe, Combined Races & Rookie Races
Costume Contest ongoing throughout all races on Sunday.
Theme: "Come One, Come All to the Circus in the Mountains"
Prizes for Best Adult Costume, Best Youth Costume and Best Group Costumes
- Morning, TBD XC Ski, snowshoe and snow bike rentals provided by Pagosa Mountain Sports at race site. Call ahead to reserve equipment - (970) 507-7886
- 9:00-10:30 am Race Site Registration and Bib Pick Up Cut-off for 12K racers: 9:15 am, for 6K Racers: 10:30 am
- 9:45 am 12K Racers must be in Staging Area at Race Site
- 10:00 am 12K Race Begins
- 11:00 am 6K Classic Ski Racers & 6K Snowshoers must be in Staging Area
- 11:15 am 6K Classic Style race mass start begins, followed shortly by the 6K Snowshoe Race mass start. Al Unser, will begin the races. Al won the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race four times, the fourth of five to have won the race in consecutive years, and won the National Championship in 1970, 1983, and 1985.
- 12-12:30 pm Rookie Races, Race Day registration and Bib Pick up in Staging Area
- 12:45 pm Racers for Rookie Races must be in Staging Area
- 1:00 pm 1K-3K Rookie Races begins, Snowshoers and Skiers race together with Skiers on right and Snowshoers on left. Adult and Youth race together
- 1:00-3:00 pm Snow Bike Demos, Pagosa Mountain Sports, Pagosa Springs, CO, will have demo bikes in Parking Area at Race Site
- 3:00-6:00 pm Music entertainment provided by El Norteno, Amarante Casias, Foster's Restaurant and Saloon back room, downtown
- 4:00 pm Chama Chile Ski Classic Awards Ceremony in back room at Foster's Restaurant and Saloon, downtown Chama
- 8:30 pm. Weather Permitting (we need a clear sky!) - SUPER BLUE BLOOD MOON -Telescope viewing, Moonlight Ski at Sargents Wildlife Area, in Chama, during Lunar Eclipse; Totality approximately 10:15 pm. Leader: Mary Ann DeBoer, 575-756-2294 for more info
Monday, JANUARY 21ST - RACE SITE OPEN TO ALL SKIERS, SNOWSHOERS AND SNOW BIKERS, FREE OF CHARGE
Saturday & Sunday, JANUARY 26th & 27th - Come Back and Have some Fun on a Groomed Course!
Race Course will be groomed and open for non-competitive and non-motorized use. Please note that this is dependent on the weather and our volunteers. For instance, if there is a big snow dump on Friday, we may not have the opportunity to groom the course in time for Saturday. We will post our progress on our social media sites – Facebook group and community pages.
Date TBD - Thank You Volunteers, Sponsors and Donors!
Saturday, February 2, 2019, Time, TBD CCSC Volunteers & Supporters Appreciation Party:
All volunteers, sponsors, donors and racers (past and current) are invited to the Ski Classic's annual “Thank You” party. IT'S TIME TO RELAX BECAUSE DINNER WILL BE PROVIDED!! :> :> Non-alcoholic beverages will also be provided. At United Country Real Estate in Chama, NM.